The Homeless Prevention Rental Assistance Program helps individuals and families who are facing difficult financial times due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are at immediate risk of experiencing homelessness. The program provides rental and utilities assistance to very low-income residents who qualify for the assistance.
Only ONE application will be accepted per household.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PROGRAM?
To qualify for assistance under this program:
- Must be a Miami-Dade County resident
- Must be renting your home/apartment
- Your current monthly income cannot be more than the maximum limit for this program, based on the size of your household. Click here to see the “Maximum Income Limits Per Number of Persons Living In Household”
- Your Landlord must be willing to participate
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- You must complete the “Eligibility Screening Questionnaire” to see if you qualify for this assistance.
- If it looks like you qualify for this program based on your Eligibility Screening Questionnaire, you will need to provide a contact name, email address and telephone number. You will be assigned an application number and will be provided the “Application for Assistance” that you need to complete and submit, along with all the required documents so that the application can be reviewed. To see a List of Required Documents, Click here.
- A Homeless Prevention Case Manager will contact applicants on a first-come, first-served basis, in the order the Application for Assistance was received. Documents required by the program guidelines will be requested. If you cannot provide the supporting documents within the required time-frame, we will have to move on to the next eligible applicant.
- The program will issue payments directly to landlords and utility companies who must be willing to participate in the program. No money will be provided directly to applicants. Landlords must be willing to provide the program with completed W-9s and ACH/Direct Deposit forms.
The ability to submit an online application to this program does not constitute acceptance, meeting minimum qualification criteria, nor is it a guarantee of funding. All information submitted will be individually verified and households who provide misleading or false information, or who apply more than once for the program (even under a different family member), will be disqualified from receiving assistance.
Please Note: This Program is subject to funding availability. Because program funding is limited, not all applicants may be contacted. Eligible applicants will be contacted in numerical order, based on the order the Application for Assistance was received. An Application for Assistance will be considered complete only when all documentation has been provided. Funding assistance will be provided until all of the program funds are distributed.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RECEIVE ASSISTANCE?
- First - Determine if you qualify for assistance. Read the information on who qualifies for assistance and if you do, complete and submit a Homeless Prevention Rental Assistance Eligibility Screening Questionnaire. Click here
- If you are notified that you meet eligibility for the program, you will be provided a Homeless Prevention Rental Assistance Program “Application for Assistance” from the Program. Complete the application form and return by the date and time indicated. Click here if you need Application Submission Assistance.
- Review the list of the required documents and start to gather them. Either scan or take a picture of them ahead of time, since you will need to provide them if you are eligible for assistance.
- It would be helpful and will make the process go faster if you discuss this program with your landlord to see if they are willing to participate in this program. There will be documents they will need to complete as part of this process once they are contacted by a case manager. This program is voluntary for landlords. If your landlord is not willing to complete the documents, unfortunately you will not be eligible to participate.
- Check your emails regularly (including spam folder) for any additional documents requested and updates on the status of your application.
- If you do not have an email address and need assistance completing the screening application, please call the Homeless Helpline at 1-877-994-4357.
WHAT IF I DON’T QUALIFY FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Don’t give up. There are other programs available to assist households with rent and utility payments. To see a listing, please Click here.
The Camillus House Homeless Prevention Rental Assistance Program is made possible by the Miami-Dade County Department of Public Housing and Community Development and the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust, with funding from the federal CARES Act. This program allows local governments to allocate emergency funding to residents who face pressing financial needs, in particular due to the COVID-19 pandemic.