Brother Mathias Barrett
On January 19, 1951 Brother Mathias Barrett founded the Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd (BGS), a Roman Catholic pontifical institute of religious Brothers, whose members profess the canonical, public vows of chastity, poverty and obedience.
Established in Albuquerque and led by Brother Mathias, the Good Shepherd Refuge opened its doors to persons who are homeless and poverty stricken. Adhering to the motto "Charity Unlimited," the Brothers of the Good Shepherd expanded outside of the Albuquerque region and traveled to Columbus, Ohio, where St. Martin's Home opened in 1954. Ozanam Inn, New Orleans, Louisiana, followed in 1955.
By their 10th anniversary, the Brothers' congregation had grown from seven men and one house to 25 men and six houses. Numerous houses were established in the 1960s, among them Camillus House in Florida, Good Shepherd Refuge and Center in Canada, St. John's Hospice in Philadelphia, Good Shepherd Manors in Wakefield and Kansas City, and Mount Aloysius in New Lexington, Ohio.
Brother Mathias acted as Superior General until the First General Chapter in 1977, where Brother Camillus Harbinson was elected. He served two terms until his sudden death in 1986. At that time Brother Justin Howson was elected to serve a ten-year term as Superior General..