Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd
The Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd (BGS), the organization that founded Camillus House, is a Roman Catholic pontifical institute of religious Brothers, whose members profess the canonical, public vows of chastity, poverty and obedience. The Brothers live together in community and provide a variety of social and health care related services to the poor and needy throughout the United States, Canada, England, Ireland and Haiti.
Brother Mathias Barrett founded the Congregation on January 19, 1951 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. The Congregation's motto is "Charity Unlimited." Brother Mathias' original inspiration was to serve Jesus Christ in the person of the poor, destitute and anyone in need of help. This continues to motivate all those who share in Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd life, mission and ministry.
The Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd is a religious non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation in the Official Catholic Directory. It is registered as a non-profit, tax-exempt agency in New Mexico, California, Florida, Illinois, Ontario, Canada and Wolverhamption, England.
Above, a historical photo with the first Brothers to join the order, including (from left): Brother James Keily, Brother Kevin Carr, Brother Mathias Barrett, Brother Camillus Harbinson and Brother Francis Abraham.